Template

Friday, April 24, 2015

Ridiculously Easy Wonton Soup with a Kick

I'm seriously shocked at myself.

I have absolutely no idea how I've managed to go so long without sharing this recipe with you, I honestly thought I had written about it a really long time ago!  While I was writing up that last post about Cheeseburger Egg Rolls I searched the blog for recipes I'd posted that used wonton wrappers and this one was no where to be found- I've been remiss, my apologies :-)
This is not one that should have been forgotten!

This recipe is one of my own, though it is one of the (many, at this point!) recipes I've had published on Allrecipes.com.  Almost all of the reviews have been 5 stars, which makes me pretty happy!

Let me just say, I love this soup.  It's so simple to make and the flavor is just so delicious.  It comes together very quickly.  Personally I like to use homemade wontons that I try to keep made up in the freezer, but that's a totally unnecessary step- a bag picked up from the freezer section of your grocery store works just as well!  I write that you should cook the wontons in a separate pan of water to keep the broth clear- but if you don't care about clear broth go ahead and cook them in the broth itself.
It's made with a handful of ingredients you probably already have around if you do any Asian cooking- I can't stand recipes that I have to go buy a million things for!  A little spicy, but not overwhelming, just flavorful.

Another great plus about this recipe?  It's wonderful as written, but it's also a great jumping off point. Several of the reviewers mention that they've thrown in all kinds of ingredients, from bok choy to mushrooms- so go nuts clearing out that produce drawer if you want!


8 cups chicken broth
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons sesame oil
2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 1/2 sriracha
salt to taste
8 cups water
20 wontons

1. Combine chicken broth, soy sauce, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, chile-garlic sauce, and salt in a large pot over medium heat; bring to a simmer and cook until hot, about 10 minutes.

2. While the broth simmers, bring water to a boil in a separate pot. Cook wontons in boiling water until heated through, about 5 minutes. Remove from water with a slotted spoon and add to the soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!