Template

Friday, April 25, 2014

Carolina Mustard BBQ Sauce

First of all let me just say "hi"!  I'm still alive!  I normally post a few times a week, but boy have I been busy for the past couple of weeks!


I've been selling gourmet popcorns for the past few months (check out my Etsy link on the right!) and it kind of took over my life with all of those Easter orders!  But I'm back and excited to be cooking with you again.

I've made so many fun and tasty things lately over at Nora's Nibbles- and I'm still creating lots of fun popcorn flavors- but for today I'm happy to be back in the kitchen making some food I can actually eat myself!
I love BBQ sauce.  I love it thick and sweet, bold and spicy.  I was a little wary of a Carolina-style mustard based sauce.

I shouldn't have been.

Dude.

First and foremost, this sauce is SO FREAKING GOOD.

Amazingly good.

Just...so good.

But then you throw in the fact that it's low-carb and a BBQ sauce that I can actually eat on my diet?
I'm sold.

It's thick, tangy, sweet, spicy...everything you want from a BBQ sauce minus the tomato base.

I mixed it with pulled pork.
I slathered it over the top of meatloaf.
I coated chicken wings with it.

It's just awesome, regardless of how you use it!  It's become a staple in my fridge and is WELL worth a try!


1 cup prepared yellow mustard
1/2 cup granular no-calorie sucralose sweetener (e.g., Splenda ®)
3/4 cup cider vinegar
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon liquid smoke flavoring

1. In a saucepan over medium heat, stir together the mustard, sweetener, cider vinegar, chili powder, black pepper, white pepper, and cayenne pepper. Simmer for 30 minutes.

2. Stir in the soy sauce, butter, and liquid smoke; simmer for 10 more minutes. Cool completely, and refrigerate overnight to blend flavors before using.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!