Template

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Happy Halloween!


One of my favorite things about being a mommy is making memories with my daughter.  My mother was always great at making something out of nothing- 

including Easter dresses for my sister and I out of a shower curtain one year!

I have memories of picnic dinners in the park on weekeday nights, making homemade wrapping paper out of paint and potato stamps, and going on penny walks(more on that in another post).

Like my family, I grew up with a stay-at-home mom and a limited income.  Something for which I'm truly grateful.

Now, as a mommy myself, I know the tricks.  I know how much fun can be had with a small (and sometimes non-existent!) budget.  


I try to make sure that my kids have a happy childhood full of love and laughter.

This month Allrecipes asked their Allstars to host a Halloween party showcasing recipes from this month's brand partners, Pillsbury and Karo.

Admittedly, this intially made my chest get a little tight as I contemplated how I was going to budget for a Halloween party.

Then the lightbulb went off! Who said the party had to be big 
and flashy?

Fun can be had with little and it doesn't take big budgets to make big impressions on kids!

I made a dinner of finger foods for the kids

and a platter of delicious treats made with Karo syrup for dessert 

-with PLENTY left over to send to work with my husband!-

I went by the dollar store and got some inexpensive table decor to dress up our little party.  

I came to the party a little late when it comes to Dollar Tree BTW- that place is amazing!  A store where everything is TRULY a dollar?!?  Love that place for things like party decor and craft supplies for the kids!
Crescent Nacho Mini Cups

A black tablecloth, spooky skeleton, orange pumpkin platters for the food, and a couple of glass containers (that I can totally re-purpose for other things) filled with candy corn for color- that's it! 
Not only was the food delicious, but my daughter had a blast.  I can pretty much guarantee none of her friends had mini-Halloween parties for dinner last night!

With a bigger budget I could have done more- and so can you!- but that's not really the point.  The point is that it's easy to settle into life and forget how easy it is to make the ordinary extraordinary.  The things I love most about my childhood were the things that other people's parents simply didn't think to do but took so little effort from my mother.  

:-) I have a pretty awesome mommy to model myself after, if I do say so myself.  

I'll leave you with some pictures of the yummy Karo and Pillsbury recipes we enjoyed, 
all pictures link to the recipes so you can make them yourself!




Crescent Mummy Dogs
1 (8 ounce) can Pillsbury® refrigerated crescent dinner rolls or Pillsbury® Crescent Recipe Creations™ refrigerated flaky dough sheet
2 1/2 slices American cheese slices, quartered
10 large hot dogs
Cooking spray
Mustard or ketchup, if desired

1. Heat oven to 375 degrees F.

2. Crescent Rolls: Unroll dough; separate at perforations creating 4 rectangles; press perforations to seal. Recipe Creations: Unroll dough; cut into 4 rectangles.

3. With knife or kitchen scissors, cut each rectangle lengthwise into 10 pieces, making a total of 40 pieces of dough. Slice cheese slices into quarters (1/2 slice cheese, cut in half).

4. Wrap 4 pieces of dough around each hot dog and 1/4 slice of cheese to look like "bandages," stretching dough slightly to completely cover hot dog. About 1/2 inch from one end of each hot dog, separate "bandages" so hot dog shows through for "face." On ungreased large cookie sheet, place wrapped hot dogs (cheese side down); spray dough lightly with cooking spray.

5. Bake 13 to 17 minutes or until dough is light golden brown and hot dogs are hot. With mustard, draw features on 'face.'

 Disclaimer
Photobucket
I am an Allrecipes Allstar Brand Ambassador (a voluntary position) and I’m not compensated for my work with Allrecipes.com.

Products received from advertiser are only used for experienced-based reviews on Sunny Days With My Loves. The reviews, content and opinions expressed in this blog are purely the sole opinions of GreenGirl24.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!