Template

Sunday, July 30, 2017

Key Lime Pie Ice Cream (My Ice Cream Obsession Continues)

We already know that I'm a wee bit obsessed with my ice cream maker these days. 

I mean...I store it in my freezer and I keep heavy cream in my fridge at all times just in case.

Never in my life did I think that there would come a day when I would keep heavy cream on hand just in case.

Oh well.  The day has come.  At least for the summer months.

So I've been amassing quite a collection of ice cream recipes I'm excited to try (cannoli ice cream, I'm coming for you one day soon!) and Key Lime Pie ice cream has been hovering around the top of my list for awhile.

I love key lime, don't you?
I mean, what's not to love?
It's so different from regular lime flavor, it has that sweet and tangy flavor that sets it apart from regular lime that just can't be beat.

It is definitely one of my favorite pie varieties!

Side note: I love pie.
I do a lot of talking about how my sweet tooth is waning as I get older, but I do love my pie.
I suddenly find myself wanting to watch Waitress with Keri Russell.
Anyway.  Moving on.
:-)

So Key Lime Pie is one of the best pies in the world and when I saw the recipe for the ice cream I knew that it was going to happen.

I decided to make it during a visit with my parents and it went over so well!  In fact we went out for ice cream together at a place that had a bunch of gourmet, fun flavors a couple of days before I made my own batch and my mom happened to have ordered key lime while we were out as well- apparently mine was better.

I'll take the compliment even if the recipe isn't my own.

So I'll just address the elephant in the room and say that this recipe doesn't use key lime juice.
I know.  I was a little skeptical as well.
How could it possibly taste like key lime without key lime juice?
I'm pretty sure the key is the lemon extract that's added.
Whatever magic takes place, this really does taste like key lime, so have no fear.

And yes, I do know what I'm talking about.
I *almost* bought key lime juice to use in this recipe but decided to make it as-written instead and it turned out perfectly, so have no fear.

This recipe is also just a tad bit on the large side, so know that going in- either plan on freezing this in two batches or do what I did and pour the excess into popsicle molds.  Problem solved.

One more thing?  This does take just a tiny bit longer than other recipes to set up in the ice cream maker.  I normally let my machine run 25 minutes and while I probably could have pulled this at 30 minutes I let them go to 35 minutes just to be on the safe side after reading other reviews.

Key lime ice cream speckled with broken graham crackers...is there anything that screams summer more than that?

1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk
1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
2 C milk
2/3 C heavy cream
2 egg yolks, beaten
1 C white sugar
1 C lime juice
2 tsp lemon extract
1 (3 oz) package lime flavored Jell-O® mix
6 graham crackers, broken coarsely

1. In a saucepan over low heat, combine the evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, milk, and heavy cream. Cook until warm, whisking frequently. Once the mixture is hot to the touch, whisk in the gelatin mix and sugar, stirring constantly until sugar and gelatin are completely dissolved. Whisk in the egg yolks, and remove from the heat. Stir in the lime juice and lemon extract.  Allow to chill overnight in refrigerator.

2. Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker, and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions. This recipe takes a bit longer to set up than the usual ice cream.

3. Once the ice cream is thick, open the canister, and add graham cracker evenly on each side. Mix for about 5 more minutes. Transfer to a freezer container, seal, and freeze until solid.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!