Template

Friday, July 28, 2017

Blackened Salmon Tacos with Chunky Mango Avocado Salsa

I've shared a few recipes this month from Allrecipes Hall of Fame collection in honor of the website's 20th birthday (Mmmm...that delicious Blackberry Pie brought to us by 1999 and those Caramel Filled Chocolate Cookies courtesy of 2000...) and I thought I'd finish off the month with a recipe from the 2016 Hall of Fame.

Something a little more recent.
A little more taco-centric.
You know me and tacos.
:-)

So I saw this recipe and immediately knew I had to make it.
Everything about it screams Nora-
1)It's tacos
2)It has salmon
3)It has a fruity salsa

Yep, this recipe had me written all over it.

My parents have been visiting and since my dad also shares in my ridiculous love of salmon I thought this recipe would probably be a safe bet for dinner last night.

I was definitely right!

It's a super-simple recipe, honestly the most time-consuming thing about it is chopping everything for the salsa and that's really not a big deal at all.  Just make sure to either wear gloves or do a good job washing your hands after you mince that jalapeño, take it from me- I had a rather unfortunate incident washing my hair after making pico de gallo many, many years ago that guaranteed I would always take great care with hot peppers!

Also, have you ever diced a fresh mango?
It is soooooo easy!
However if you go in blind and don't know what you're doing you're probably going to get frustrated and destroy the thing.
Not that I'm speaking from experience or anything...
Ok, maybe a little.
This is a super easy tutorial that taught me everything I needed to know when I first started buying mangoes- check it out!
The fish is easy too- I like to cook mine to an internal temp of 130°F and then let it rest for 5 minutes before serving.

Warm up some tortillas and load them up with the salmon and salsa, maybe serve with rice and beans and you have a simple and super fresh tasting meal!

P.S. Sorry for the pictures not quite being up to par, I was so excited to try dinner last night I wasn't trying very hard to find great light!


3 ripe mangoes - peeled, pitted, and diced
2 avocados - peeled, pitted, and diced
1 orange bell pepper, diced
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
1 lime, juiced
2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
1 pinch salt
2 Tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp cayenne
1 1/2 lb skin on salmon fillet
2 Tbsp olive oil, or as needed, divided
8-10 corn tortillas
3 large limes, cut into wedges

1. Combine mangoes, avocado, orange bell pepper, and jalapeño in a large bowl to make salsa. Add lime juice, cilantro, and salt; mix to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.

2. Place salmon fillet in gallon-size ziplock bag.  Add brown sugar, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, salt, chile-lime seasoning, and cayenne to bag.  Shake to cover salmon evenly and massage gently into flesh.

3. Coat the bottom of a large skillet with olive oil and heat over medium-high heat. Add salmon skin-side down and cook until skin is crisp, 6 to 7 minutes. Flip salmon and continue cooking until lightly browned on the second side and internal temperature of thickest part of fillet has reached an internal temperature of 130°F , 4 to 5 minutes.  Allow to rest 5 minutes.

4. Pan-fry corn tortillas, one at a time, until heated through and pliable, about 30 seconds per side.

5. Fill each tortilla with pieces of salmon, top with salsa, squeeze a wedge of lime on top.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!