Template

Monday, February 6, 2017

Super Snacks for the Super Bowl: Lasagna Stuffed Mushrooms

Well guys, another Super Bowl is in the books- for the blog that is!

Every year the week before the big game gets a little crazy with people flocking to those Super Bowl friendly game-day recipe- by the time Super Bowl Sunday rolls around the traffic is at a fever pitch.
Then come kickoff?
Crickets.
Total drop off until the next day when things get back to normal.
Honestly every year I find it kind of hard to turn away, it's just so much fun to watch.  :-)

This year was no different, though I do have to admit that I really slacked off this month when it comes to posting new recipes.  I normally spend the month of January ramping up and sharing new fun foods with you guys for your party planning but this year my low-carbing took a bit of the wind out of my sails.

Just a bit.
Have no fear, we certainly enjoyed our snacks yesterday and I'm going to share them with you guys so that you have them for next year- or just general delicious snacking!

This year I made four foods for the big game- Pigs In A Blanket for my daughter per her request, baked chicken wings cooked in my Panasonic Countertop Induction Oven with "Who Needs Buffalo?" Sauce, Sausage Stuffed JalapeƱos (stay tuned for those in my next post!), and these- Lasagna Stuffed Mushrooms.

Now, when I told my husband that I was making these his nose wrinkled up a bit.
Then I told him what was in them...
Ricotta.  Italian sausage.  Marinara.  Mozzarella.

Hard to go wrong, right?
Right.
So you can probably tell from the pictures that I made two varieties of these.  The filling was enough to make two portobello caps and a package of button mushrooms.  I used the button mushrooms as apps for the game and saved the portobellos for today's lunch.
You could obviously make a full batch one way or another, depending on what you want to do that day.  These were SO good right out of the oven, but I think the flavor may have even improved overnight when I reheated the portobellos today!  
Definitely delicious.

Low carb but not low on flavor!


1/2 lb ground Italian sausage
1/2 C ricotta cheese
1 egg
1 Tbsp finely chopped green onion
1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
Salt and black pepper to taste
1/4 C prepared pasta sauce, divided
16 oz package button mushrooms
1/2 C shredded mozzarella cheese, divided

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Spray a baking dish with cooking spray.

2. Cook and stir the Italian sausage in a skillet over medium heat, breaking it apart as it cooks, until the meat is no longer pink, about 10 minutes. Mix together the ricotta cheese, egg, green onion, parsley, and salt and pepper in a bowl until the mixture is well combined. Stir in the cooked ground beef.

3. Place the mushrooms, hollow sides up, close together in the prepared baking dish. Spoon about 1 tablespoon of the cheese filling into the cavity of each mushroom.

4. Bake in the preheated oven until the cheese filling is set, about 15 minutes. Remove dish from oven, and top each mushroom with a dollop of pasta sauce. Sprinkle an even layer of mozzarella cheese over the sauce, return the dish to the oven, and broil until the cheese is bubbling and beginning to brown, about 5 more minutes. Let the mushrooms stand 5 minutes before serving.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!