Template

Sunday, January 29, 2017

Super Snacks for the Super Bowl: Giant Party Sandwich

I'm a child of the 80's.  Part of that weird little in-between generation that is on the tail end or just past Gen-X and before the millennials came along.  We grew up alongside technology- I was both closely acquainted with the rotary phone and the owner of a pager (ha!) followed by that classic Nokia cell phone in high school.  My childhood memories are full of scratch-and-sniff stickers, Jell-O Pudding Pops, and Smurfs.

Oh..and The Cosby Show.
Despite the connotations of the name "Cosby" these days,  I loved that show growing up in the 80's.  I grew up with Rudy, thought Theo was kind of cute, and believed that Denise was just the coolest.

It was right up there with The Golden Girls for me.  :-)


I might even still have a copy of The Cosby Show Scrapbook in a box in the garage- I still remember the excitement of picking it up at a school book fair around second grade or so.

Also, while some may think of the iconic Dagwood from Blondie comic strips when they see a larger-than-life sandwich, personally I think of Doctor Huxtable sneaking into the kitchen for one of his forbidden creations while Claire was out.

Doctor Huxtable was always trying to sneak off-limits foods when Mrs. Huxtable wasn't around- specifically giant hoagies.

When I saw this video floating around Facebook from Delish I knew I had to make this giant sub.  In honor of my childhood- and in honor of the upcoming Super Bowl, of course!

My husband and I have been low-carbing it since the beginning of the year, and while I'm usually the kind of person who would rather press on than have a cheat day my husband is not.  I occasionally cave along with him every few weeks and when I showed him that video we both had the same thought- that beautiful, giant sandwich MUST BE MADE.

So, this is kind of the same principle as going to Subway and ordering one of their massive party subs, just on a bit of a smaller scale.  The scale of a normal party when there will be loads of other fun game-day foods, you know?

It's absolutely brilliant and really couldn't be easier.

Are you ready?
Buy a tube of Pillsbury French Bread dough and bake it in a bundt pan.

Cool and slice it in half.  Fill with ingredients.  Serve the coolest sandwich ever.
You could even make this ahead.
So smart.

Confession: I actually didn't use the Pillsbury dough, but I would have if my store carried it.
What kind of store doesn't carry Pillsbuy French Bread?
Mine apprarently.

I ended up buying a package of frozen Rhodes White Bread because that's what the store had and I was feeling too lazy to make it from scratch.  I used 2 loaves but I think 1 1/2 would have been better.  It was delicious regardless!

You could easily change up the ingredients; the video called for salami, ham, and pepperoni but I used turkey instead of the pepperoni.  Any lunch meat would do.  In fact, if you wanted to do something like this for a slightly more lady-like event like a baby shower I can see chicken salad working beautifully with this sandwich preparation too!

It looks really neat and it tastes fabulous.  I will definitely be keeping this in my back pocket for future use!


1 roll Pillsbury Crusty French Loaf
1/4 C olive oil, divided
1 1/2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
2 tsp Italian seasoning
1/4 lb provolone, sliced
1/2 lb salami, sliced
1/2 lb ham, sliced
1/2 lb turkey, sliced
2 cups lettuce, shredded
2 medium tomatoes, sliced
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper

1. Preheat oven to 350° F.  Spray inside of bundt pan with cooking spray.  Open roll of french bread and place in bundt pan; pinch together ends to form a ring.  Bake for 25 minutes or until bread is cooked through.

2. Transfer cooked bread to cooling rack.  After cool, slice in half horizontally.  Using 3 Tbsp of olive oil, drizzle inside of each half of sliced loaf with olive oil and vinegar.  Sprinkle each half of bread with Italian seasoning.

3. Top bottom half of loaf with provolone.  Add folded salami, ham, and turkey.  Top with lettuce and tomatoes.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Drizzle with remaining Tablespoon of olive oil.

4. Place top half of loaf on sandwich and press down lightly.  Cut to serve.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!