Template

Friday, January 13, 2017

Sausage Breakfast Crescent Rolls

I know I just said yesterday that I was doing the low carb thing again.

I am.

In fact, that's the reason I found myself with extra breakfast sausage in the fridge that I didn't want to eat and didn't want to waste.

A couple of nights ago after a busy day of popcorn making and poor meal planning my husband and I decided to do breakfast for dinner.  We made up a big batch of thick cut bacon and breakfast sausage and he made me an omelet that would make most people weak in the knees.

Sadly, I'd take a scramble loaded with veggies over a heavy meat-loaded omelet any day of the week.  That's just me.

I just couldn't eat one more bite of breakfast meats and I spent the next two days staring at the leftovers and trying to figure out what I was going to do with them before I had to toss them.  My husband had moved on to other foods and neither of us really wanted to finish them off.

My son gladly polished off the remaining bacon, but the sausage still needed to be dealt with.

Then it came to me- remember those Crescent Pizza Rolls my daughter made for New Year's?
They turned out so well.
I still had a couple of tubes of crescent roll dough in the fridge- why not make some breakfast pigs in a blanket for her?  I kept them simple and just wrapped sausage in the crescent rolls but you could very easily dress these up and add some scrambled egg or cheese to the filling.

My favorite part, and what really makes these stand out, is that riffed on the melted butter idea from those Crescent Pizza Rolls and made a sweet version to finish them off as soon as they came out of the oven by brushing them with a mixture of melted butter and syrup.

She was SO excited when she bit into them and realized they tasted like pancakes!  Of course, you could also serve these with syrup for dipping, but I was pretty pleased with the way they turned out as -is.  :-)


8 breakfast sausage links, cooked
1 (8 oz) package refrigerated crescent roll dough
3 Tbsp butter, melted
1 Tbsp syrup

1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

2. Roll each sausage link up in one triangle of dough. Mix together melted butter and syrup in small bowl and set aside. Bake rolls in preheated oven for 10 minutes or until golden brown.

3. Immediately after removing rolls from oven brush with butter mixture and allow to cool on cooling rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!