Template

Sunday, February 21, 2016

Hot and Spicy Stuffed Mushrooms

I have had so many interesting opportunities over the years thanks to Allrecipes and my status as one of their Allstars.  I've taken a couple of free trips (woohoo, thanks guys!).  I've been introduced to some very interesting brands (go Bison Council!).  I've become friends with an amazing group of lovely ladies (with a sprinkling of men).  
What an experience!

 This month I had the opportunity to work with Nascar.
Didn't see that one coming, gotta be honest!  I'm always excited to have new Allstar experiences, though.  After spending many years living 15 minutes or so from a major speedway I'm well acquainted with the racing craziness that surrounds these events!

It was time to throw a Daytona 500 party- and I needed a menu.

A good one.
Given my current diet, a low carb one.

No problem.  I've got this.  :-)

I've said it before, but I'll say it again because it's true- to be a good low carb recipe is has to be something everyone is going to like.  If you're making some bizarro dish with funky ingredients that you're snacking on by yourself you're going to feel deprived and cranky and then the hangriness sets in.
No one likes a hangry lady.
Thankfully these Hot and Spicy Stuffed Mushrooms fit the bill.  I have a few more snacks from my Nascar party to share with you, but I'll save those for another day.

Today we're talking about creamy, savory, spicy deliciousness.

I've made these mushrooms a couple of times already and honestly I'm in love.  I do have a couple suggestions.  I found that we prefer these with relatively small button mushrooms as they can be a bit rich when they're bigger.  Also, the heat in these babies is super easy to adapt.  The first time I made them- and yes, I've made them several times now- I only used 3 seeded jalapeños instead of the 5 the recipe called for.  They were great and I think they would have been perfect for those who aren't so into spice.  
We needed just a little bit more heat for our tastes and used the full 5 jalapeños the recipe called for after that first attempt.
The only other change I made was to top it with crushed pork rinds for some texture.
I know, I know.  If you've not really done low carb before it sounds gross, I know, I personally can't stand pork rinds but when they're crushed they make an excellent bread crumb replacement.
Not low-carbing it?  Use panko.  Same results.  :-)

I'm pretty sure there's no way to go wrong with the ingredients in these mushrooms.  Between the bacon, cheese, and jalapeños the flavor in these is absolutely fabulous- and highly recommended.


2 Tbsp olive oil
5 jalapeño peppers (or to taste), seeded and chopped
1/4 C onion, diced
1 (8 oz) pkg cream cheese, softened
1 C shredded Cheddar cheese
5 slices cooked bacon, chopped
1 teaspoon ground cumin, or more to taste
1 teaspoon garlic powder
30 mushrooms, stems removed, or more as needed
1/4 C crushed pork rinds (or panko bread crumbs)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray.

2. Heat olive oil in medium pan.  Add onion and jalapeños to pan and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.  Remove from heat.

3. Mix cream cheese, Cheddar cheese, onion & pepper mixture, bacon, cumin, and garlic powder together in a bowl. Spoon cream cheese mixture into each mushroom. Arrange stuffed mushrooms on the prepared baking sheet.  Sprinkle pork rinds (or panko) over the top of the mushrooms.  Bake in the preheated oven until mushrooms are tender and cheese is melted, 30 to 40 minutes.



 Disclaimer

I am an AllrecipesAllstar Brand Ambassador (a voluntary position) and I’m not compensated for my work with Allrecipes.com. Products received from advertiser are only used for experienced-based reviews my personal blog.  The reviews, content and opinions expressed in this blog are all my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!