Template

Monday, February 22, 2016

Yummy Roll-Ups

When I was a kid I really couldn't stand cream cheese and absolutely refused to eat it.  Not all that uncommon for a kid, I suppose, but now I love the stuff.
A warm toasted buttered bagel smeared with a thick layer of cream cheese.  Yes- butter and cream cheese.
I'm drooling just thinking about it, it's a bit Pavlovian.
Ugh.  I can't be trusted around carbs.

Anyway.
So I definitely have a love for cream cheese now that I'm older (try some Ma'am's Hot Jam over cream cheese with some Wheat Thins.  Heaven!), but I was not at all surprised when my daughter absolutely refused to eat these.  At first.

She meandered into the kitchen to see what I was up to and she saw pickles.
That kid can really put away some pickles.
She saw ham.
Her eyes lit up...and then quickly dimmed.

She'd seen the cream cheese swirled with two of her favorite foods.  I'd also used up all of the ham and pickles in my endeavor.  She asked if she could disassemble my work and just scrape off the cream cheese.
Nope!
There were other snacks in the house- if she wanted ham and pickles she was going to have to give these a chance.
She loved them!  She ate like half of them and is already asking me to make more.
I'd say that's a win!  And honestly, anything that gets my kids to give a new food a chance is a win in my book.

Thankfully she wasn't the only one who enjoyed these easy little snacks, we all gobbled them up.  They're so easy to make and packed with flavor- not to mention low carb!

I added a tiny bit of extra flavor to the original recipe, but other than that I left it alone.  These would be really easy to adapt with other flavors too, either with a store-bought flavored cream cheese or maybe with some minced veggies (black olives or roasted red peppers come to mind...) mixed into the cream cheese at home.
I made these as an Allstar as part of my Nascar Daytona 500 menu for Allrecipes.com along with several other yummy low-carb snacks that are great for game day or any day!


5 slices cooked ham
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp dried dill
5 dill pickle spears

1. Lay the ham slices flat on a serving plate and pat dry. 

2. Mix garlic powder and dill into softened cream cheese.  Spread cream cheese on ham slices, ensuring cream cheese goes all the way to the edges of ham.  

3. Place a pickle spear at one end of each slice, and roll the slices into cylinders around the spears; secure with toothpicks if necessary.  Refrigerate for 30 minutes before slicing into bite-sized pieces.





 Disclaimer


I am an AllrecipesAllstar Brand Ambassador (a voluntary position) and I’m not compensated for my work with Allrecipes.com. Products received from advertiser are only used for experienced-based reviews my personal blog.  The reviews, content and opinions expressed in this blog are all my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!