Template

Saturday, December 20, 2014

Iced Eggnog Cutouts and A Hospital Stay

On the sixth day of Christmas my true love gave to me, 
pneumonia and a hospital stay....

Ok, maybe that gift didn't exactly come from my true love, though he has been pretty awesome about sticking by my side and handling things while I've been stuck here attached to tons of wires.

{side note: do you know how hard it is to try to type with an O2 monitor on your left index finger?  It kind of stinks..}

Anyway, here I sit- the girl who NEVER gets sick- waiting on more tests to figure out some weird lab results.  My options are watching more bad TV or getting up the blog I intended to write before my ER trip yesterday- and I choose you guys.

Well, you guys and Iced Eggnog Cutouts.
Let me just tell you...I can't stop thinking about them.  The fact that they haven't let me eat in 13 hours might have something to do with it, but really- they're just crazy good!
Blogging from the hospital,
now that's commitment... :-)

I absolutely love the flavor of eggnog and I grabbed a bottle at the store the other day knowing that I wanted to create something with it.  The Eggnog Quick Bread I made last year is phenomenal but I needed something new this year. 

Cue scouring the internet.  Name a dessert, I considered eggnogifying it.

Fudge?  Pie?  Cake?  Brownies?

Yep.  Yep.  Yep.  and Yep.

Eventually I settled on cookies and started in on a new round of searching Pinterest for eggnog cookie recipes.

To no avail.
Well, actually there are approximately 5 bazillion eggnog cookie recipes out there- but none that were what I envisioned making.  :-)  This is where being creative in the kitchen gets fun!

I wanted cut outs.  I wanted rich eggnog flavor.  I wanted soft and light.  I wanted sturdy like my Thick Sugar Cookie Cutouts.  I wanted flavorful glaze.

I got it, on all counts.

Oh my goodness you guys...these are addictive, festive perfection.  I made some 1/4" thick and they were good and a little crisp, but my word- the thicker cookies are where it's at!  Soft, sturdy, just perfect.

These are absolutely my new go-to Christmas cookie!

{P.S.- I'm home and well now, minus the pneumonia.  23 hours without food, a cardiac cath, and lots of blood tests later all is well!}


For Cookies: 
4 cups flour 
2 tsp baking powder 
1 tsp nutmeg 
1/4 tsp cinnamon 
3/4 C butter, softened 
2 C white sugar 
2 eggs 
1/4 C eggnog 
1 tsp vanilla 
1 tsp rum extract 

For Icing: 
1/4 C eggnog 
2 Tbsp light corn syrup 
1 tsp vanilla extract 
1/2 tsp rum extract 
1/2 tsp nutmeg 
3 C powdered sugar

1. Whisk together flour, baking powder, nutmeg, and cinnamon. In a separate large bowl cream together butter and sugar. Mix in eggs, eggnog, vanilla, and rum extract. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours.


2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Roll out dough to 1/2" thickness on lightly floured surface. Cut into shapes with cookie cutters and place 1" apart on engrossed cookie sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes and allow to cool on baking racks.

3. For icing, whisk together eggnog, light corn syrup, vanilla extract, rum extract, and nutmeg. Mix in powdered sugar until smooth and desired consistency is reached. Dip cookie tops in icing and place on wax paper to dry.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!