Template

Sunday, June 23, 2019

Greek Salads and Light Summer Sides

Have I ever told you about the time I walked into the dining room and found my daughter sitting at the table digging into a block of feta cheese like it was an apple?

Because that happened once- and she will never live it down.  :-)
That child, my far-less-than-before-but-nevertheless-picky eater, loves feta.
And I love it when either one of my kids expands their culinary comfort zone, so I'm all for it.
Which means that I often find myself making recipes that call for feta- and ensuring that there's a little left over in the fridge for her.

You know...maybe less than an apple-sized brick but enough to make her happy.

We've reached a point where she will eat tomatoes, peppers, and onions as long as they're cooked into something but we're still working on tolerating them in their natural state.  I decided to push her limits a little with My Big Fat Greek Salad.  Not only does it have her favorite cheese but two kinds of olives- and that child would eat an entire jar of olives if given the opportunity!

Also, we know I love a fun salad and this recipe is certainly that.
Crisp cucumber, juicy tomato, briney olives and feta, red onion, and some bell pepper- there is nothing not to love.  Toss all of that together with a nice, light vinaigrette and life is good.

This is the perfect recipe to bring to your summer BBQ's- so cool and refreshing!  Not to mention super easy to throw together.  I think I'll be making it again sometime soon and throwing in some grilled chicken for a nice, light summer dinner!


2 large English cucumbers, quartered and sliced
1 pinch kosher salt
2 C cherry tomatoes, halved
1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 C pitted Kalamata olives, sliced
1/2 C pitted green olives, sliced
2 Tbsp and 1 tsp minced fresh oregano, divided
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
1/4 C red wine vinegar, or to taste
1/3 C olive oil, or to taste
1 (4 oz) package feta cheese, diced, divided

1. Place cucumber into a colander; toss with some kosher salt and let sit for 10 to 15 minutes.  Rinse cucumbers; drain thoroughly for 10 to 15 minutes more.

2. Combine cucumbers, tomatoes, onion, bell pepper, olives, and 2 Tbsp oregano in a bowl. Season with salt, black pepper, and cayenne. Sprinkle in vinegar and toss thoroughly. Drizzle in olive oil. Add about 2/3 of the feta cheese and toss again. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 to 60 minutes.

3. Give the salad another mix. Taste and season as desired. Scatter remaining feta cheese on top and garnish with remaining oregano.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!