Template

Thursday, August 22, 2019

Grilled Pesto Marinated Chicken and The Joy of Swimming Alone

This year I discovered the joy of going to the pool by myself.
For the past 13 years I have rarely set foot in a swimming pool without constantly being on alert in order to make sure kids don't drown.

This week has been different.
It started the day after my kids returned to school- I'd spent several hours out in the heat working in the yard and I was hot and sore.
The pool sounded pretty fabulous, so I suited up and headed for the water.

Oh my word.

Relaxing in the water, eyes closed, carefree.
Lounging in a chair, soaking up the sun on my (very well coated with sunscreen) skin.

Sitting in a lounge chair!
Can you believe it‽

Those have always seemed like the realm of the child-free.
Yet I have enjoyed them every single day this week.
It's been pretty fabulous.
I go back to school next week myself, but I fully intend to enjoy every last moment of summer that I have left!

In our house we tend to embrace the grill during these summer months.  My husband often cooks up enough meats to feed a small army, both so we have enough prepared to get us through the week and because it's always nice to have a grilled pork loin or smokey chicken breasts to pull out of the freezer for a no-fuss meal.
Also, I kind of think he just really, really enjoys the idea of grilled meat, to be honest.  ;-)

Recently I found myself staring down a mountain of chicken breast in the freezer and started looking for a new way to season it.  I took a look in the pantry, eyeing dusty jars of sauces and such purchased on whims, and came across a jar of pesto.

To be honest...historically speaking I've not been the world's biggest pesto fan.  Awhile back I got a coupon for a jar of Barilla pesto sauce from Allrecipes (being an Allstar has perks!) and that jar has been sitting on my pantry shelf daring me to use it ever since.

Do you have any foods that you hated as a kid and now refuse to give a chance?
For my mom it was asparagus- she never cooked it and I was well into high school before trying it for the first time.
For years I flat-out refused to eat Brussels sprouts- but now they're one of my favorite veggies!
I'm sure that one day my children will discover that they love applesauce and blame me for their years of living without it, as I absolutely despise the stuff and never buy it.

Pesto was in that "no-go" territory for me for a long time simply because I was too stubborn to give it another chance.  I really should have tried it again earlier.  It was delicious!

Using pre-made pesto makes this an incredibly simple marinade to throw together.  Three ingredients plus a little salt and pepper, tossed into a freezer bag with the chicken.  That's it!  Between the pesto, the parmesan cheese, and the lemon juice this makes for a super delicious dish.  Throw in a side like rice and a green salad and you have a fabulously satisfying meal on your hands!

{P.S. - You could totally make this stove-top in a grill pan or baked in the oven if its too hot outside to think about grilling!}


1 (6 oz) jar prepared pesto (such as Barilla® Rustic Basil Pesto)
1/4 C grated Parmesan cheese
3 oz lemon juice
1 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
4 chicken breast halves

1. Mix together pesto, Parmesan cheese, lemon juice, pepper, and salt in a 1-gallon resealable freezer bag. Add chicken, coat with the marinade, squeeze out excess air, and seal the bag. Marinate in the refrigerator 8 hours to overnight.

2. Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat and lightly oil the grate.

3. Remove chicken from the marinade and shake off excess. Discard the remaining marinade.

4. Cook chicken on the preheated grill over indirect heat until no longer pink in the center and the juices run clear, about 6 to 8 minutes per side. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 165 degrees F (74 degrees C).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!