Template

Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Easy Breakfasts, Delicious Ham, and Egg-Hating Children

Both of my kids liked eggs when they were little.  I still remember my daughter's little fingers plucking chunks of scrambled egg from her high chair tray and at one point in time her love of deviled eggs rivaled my own- even my picky son would eat them snuck into a grilled cheese sandwich as a toddler.
I have no idea what went wrong, but they've both been turning their noses up at eggs for years now.

Me?
I'll take them scrambled, fried, hard-boiled, frittata-d, omelette-fied, poached, and pretty much any other way they can be prepared short of over-easy or sunny side up.

I had the chance to work with Smithfield again (I love working with Smithfield!  Such a fabulous brand and quality product.  Remember those Spicy Smoked Back Ribs with Maple Glaze I made with them a few years ago?  That sauce is still my go-to BBQ sauce recipe!) for Allrecipes last month and this time the recipes focused on their yummy ham and were more breakfast-oriented.

Lets just say I fully expected that my husband and I would be the only people in the house to enjoy starting our day with one of Smithfield's delicious recipes given my children's bents against eggs.

Yet somehow, I was wrong.
It turns out the scents of ham and crisping tortillas are all it takes to entice my daughter to the egg side.
I went with Smithfield's Ham, Egg, and Cheese Quesadillas and within minutes she had been lured into the kitchen.  Then after years of being an egg tee-totaler, she asked for one.

I know- I was shocked too!

So really, these are a super simple breakfast.  It's a quesadilla with ham and scrambled eggs.  Hard to go wrong with that!  Quick, easy, and definitely satisfying.  I enjoyed mine with sour cream and salsa, but they're good sans sauce too.

You could use any Smithfield ham and cube it, but I love to buy the packages of pre-cubed Smithfield ham.  I know it just takes seconds to chop up ham, but there's something about having a package of ham cubes that entices me to cook with them often.  I really like that when I have them in my fridge I'm much more likely to make myself a salad because they're already prepped and ready to toss in there.  I've been buying them for quite awhile so I was really excited to see them listed as an ingredient in this dish.

These quesadillas are a fabulous base dish.  They're wonderful as-is, but you could easily add in whatever breakfast-y ingredients you like.  I think next time I make them I'll add some sautéed veggies into the mix!


1. Scramble eggs with water, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl until well blended. Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook eggs, stirring frequently, until scrambled to desired consistency.

2. Spread 1 teaspoon of butter over 1 tortilla and place butter-side down in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Sprinkle 1/3 cup cheese over entire tortilla. Add 1/2 cup scrambled egg and 1/3 cup Smithfield(R) cubed ham to one side. Cook 3 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Fold the plain cheese side over the filled side and flip the quesadilla. Cook an additional 2 minutes or until golden and toasted. Cut into 2 or 3 pieces.
3. Repeat with remaining ingredients to make 5 more quesadillas.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!