Template

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Spicy Smoked Back Ribs with Maple Glaze

I'm back!  Woohoo!

So much craziness, so many big changes, so many things my family is still in the middle of!

All AWESOME, AMAZING, FANTASTIC things BTW!!!!

But, nevertheless, I've been absent lately as I deal with it all.


I've had to put my popcorn shop on vacation for a month or two.
I've pretty much stopped cooking altogether.
Life has been CRAZY!

But when Allrecipes comes calling, I must answer- it's always ALWAYS a good time when it comes to Allstars assignments!

This time they asked me to try a recipe using Smithfield pork ribs- um, yes.  Just yes.
I love Smithfield products, I love ribs, and even crazy life changes couldn't keep me from this assignment.

The timing was perfect, since Father's Day was coming up.

After perusing the collection of Smithfield recipes at Allrecipes.com I chose to go with Spicy Smoked Back Ribs with Maple Glaze.

You guys...there just aren't words.

Seriously, these were some of the most amazing ribs I've ever tried in my life.

They were really, honestly, that good.  And I know I'm right because my amazingly-picky, rib-connoiseur husband agreed- as did everyone else we were lucky enough to break bread with that night!

First of all, don't be intimidated by the steps in this one.  Yeah, the ingredient list is a bit long- but there are a number of ingredient repeats in there between the ribs and the sauce so really there aren't that many different ingredients.

Second, don't be intimidated by the number of steps- it boils down to this: Rub.  Spray.  Coat.  Sauce.

It really is pretty darn simple.

These ribs start with a yummy, slightly spicy rub.  Then you smoke them, low and slow for a couple of hours while occasionally spraying them with the juice.  Pull them off of the grill, coat them with the maple mixture, wrap them in foil.  Keep cooking for a couple of hours.  Sauce them, cook for a few minutes, and voila- the most amazing, tender, deliciously smoked ribs you've ever tasted!

Thirdly, you don't need a smoker.
Look at that smoke!!
That's right boys and girls, you don't need a smoker to smoke.
Seriously!
My husband is a die-hard Weber Grill fan and he can (and does) smoke just about anything!  If you need a little guidance in smoking with a regular charcoal grill check out a basic primer here.  It's super simple!

These ribs really have it all- a little sweet, a little spice, a lot of smoke...they're just amazing.  I'm honestly not sure if we'll ever make ribs any other way after trying them like this!

P.S.- Sorry about the pictures!  Remember that life being crazy part?  Yeah, I wasn't exactly prepared to take amazing foodie blogger pics this month.  I promise to do better in the future ;-)


2 racks Smithfield® Extra Tender Pork Back Ribs
Handful wood chips for smoking, soaked in water and drained
1 cup apple juice, in a spray bottle



Rub:

1/2 cup dark brown sugar
2 tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoon chile powder
2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 teaspoon onion powder
2 teaspoon garlic powder

Maple Coating
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup dark brown sugar

Sauce:

3 cups ketchup
1 cup dark brown sugar
3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons molasses
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne

1. About 30 minutes before smoking, make the dry rub. Combine all rub ingredients in small bowl; mix well. Generously coat both sides of ribs with rub. Set aside at room temperature for 30 minutes.

2. Make the sauce. Whisk together all ingredients in large saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes until thickened, stirring occasionally.

3. Heat charcoal for indirect cooking at 275 degrees F. Add drained wood chips.  Place the ribs, meaty side up, over a drip pan and cook for 2 hours, spraying with apple juice every 30 minutes. Add about 12 coals to a charcoal grill every 45 minutes or so to maintain the heat.

4. Remove ribs from grill. Place each rack on double stack of large aluminum foil. Whisk together maple coating ingredients.  Spread both sides of each rack with maple coating and wrap each rack tightly with foil.

5. Return wrapped ribs to the grill and cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours more over indirect heat, until very tender. Add more coals as needed to maintain temperature for a charcoal grill.

6. Remove ribs from grill and unwrap. Place ribs over direct heat on grill and brush with barbecue sauce. Cook for about 5 minutes, until the sauce is set. Turn ribs and repeat with more sauce.
Serve ribs with remaining barbecue sauce.



 Disclaimer

I am an Allrecipes Allstar Brand Ambassador (a voluntary position) and I’m not compensated for my work with Allrecipes.com.

Products received from advertiser are only used for experienced-based reviews on Sunny Days With My Loves. The reviews, content and opinions expressed in this blog are purely the sole opinions of Nora.

1 comment:

  1. noraaaaaaaaa!! i want. this. now. oh my goodness! and thank you also for the tips on smoking! i love anything smoked, and i've never been brave enough to try it. now i think i will (have my husband) go for it!!! ;) i also love that this recipe is pretty simple... i can customize it with coconut sugar and a few other tweaks... YUM.

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!