Template

Friday, June 16, 2017

Sheet Pan Low Country Boil

You know, I could say that I've been slacking lately given how rarely I've posted over the last couple of months.  I'm not going to, though.

Nope, I've not been slacking at all.
I've been busy.
SO busy.
Busy feeling the sun on my skin.
Busy taking my kids to museums and watching their eyes light up.
Busy watching my son learn how to cannonball into the pool.
Busy eating late-night pancakes with my daughter.
Busy packing picnics, trying new parks, visiting the library, and exploring with the kids.

18 summers.
That's all we get with these crazy little humans that we call our own.
I've been having a blast enjoying this one to the fullest- and it's only halfway through June!

So yes, I've been busy exhaling and enjoying the loves of my life lately and stepping outside of the kitchen a little more often than I normally do.  :-)

That's not to say that I haven't done any cooking at all because I definitely have.  Just last night I tried out this FABULOUS dish I found on Pinterest that I knew I had to make sure you tried too!

Have you ever heard of a low country boil?
I definitely hadn't until I moved to the south.

Essentially you take a giant (and I do mean giant) pot and fill it with boiling, seasoned water.  Toss in potatoes, corn on the cob, flavorful sausage, and shrimp or crawfish.  When it's all done you drain off the liquid and generally dump the whole mess out on a lined table for the crowd to enjoy.

It's one of my husband's favorite dishes, though I've honestly never made it for him myself.  Then the other day I came across this Sheet Pan Shrimp Boil from Chungah at Damn Delicious and I knew that I had to make it immediately.  I came home from the beach a few weeks ago with several pounds of super-fresh amazing shrimp that I threw in the freezer at our condo while on vacation and drove home with us packed in ice and this seemed like the perfect way to put some of it to use!

While I made a couple of (very minute) changes which are reflected in the recipe below, overall I left the recipe alone because it's incredibly simple and delicious as-is.  This would be great with crawfish rather than shrimp or even cooked in cast iron on a grill- which I very well might have my husband try very soon!

Sheet Pan Shrimp Boil

2 lb baby Dutch yellow potatoes (or russet potatoes cut in half after boiling)
3 ears corn, each cut crosswise into 6 pieces
1/2 C butter, melted
8 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp Old Bay Seasoning
2 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined if desired
14 oz kielbasa or andouille sausage, sliced to 1/2"
1 lemon, cut into wedges
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves

1. Preheat oven to 400° F.  Lightly coat baking sheet with nonstick spray.

2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.  Add potatoes and cook until just tender and parboiled, about 10-15 minutes. Stir in corn during the last 5 minutes of cooking time; drain well and return potatoes and corn to empty pot.

3. Combine butter, garlic and Old Bay Seasoning in a small bowl.  Add potatoes, corn, shrimp and sausage to potatoes and corn.  Stir in butter mixture and gently toss to coat.

4. Place all ingredients in single layer onto the prepared baking sheet.  If potatoes have been halved ensure that they are placed cut-side down.

5. Place into oven and bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the shrimp are opaque and corn is tender.  Serve immediately with lemon wedges, garnished with parsley, if desired.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!