Template

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Grilled Prosciutto and Peach Flatbread Pizzas

For the past few months my daughter has been very interested in really learning to cook and I've been actively encouraging her interest.  She digs through my old cookbooks and makes lists of things she wants to try to make.  She's mastered pie crust, chicken pot pie, pancakes (oh so many pancakes have been made!), cookies, ice cream sandwiches with those cookies, and so much more.

Well...I may not have looked at one of the recipes closely enough a few weeks ago.  It was out of an old Southern Living cookbook and to be honest I didn't really pay much attention when I was jotting down which ingredients I needed to grab for her.  She needed prosciutto, ricotta, and a few other not-inexpensive ingredients.  I remember staring at my list in the pasta aisle and realizing that I hadn't written down what kind she needed.

When I got home I realized why that was...all of those ingredients were supposed to be filling for a homemade stuffed pasta of some sort.

Well...I have zero experience with homemade pasta.
I do not own a pasta maker.


Yet I still offered to tackle this recipe with her.
Thankfully she also had failed to pay close attention to the recipe and hadn't realized that the there were not an insignificant number of mushrooms in the filling...and she decided not to make it.

I supported her decision- though for my own reasons!
Something tells me that if we'd forged ahead with this one I would have owned the pasta attachment for my Kitchenaid by the end of the ordeal.

So.
That left me with some prosciutto and ricotta on my hands.

I've always gravitated towards funky and interesting flavor combinations and I suppose this fits the bill a little bit.  It's not too far out there, but it's a more interesting pizza than pepperoni I suppose!

My husband was grilling tri-tip and Polynesian Grilled Shrimp a couple of nights ago when I asked him to throw these on the grill for me too.  They're so simple- and reminded me just how much I love fresh peaches!  It had apparently been awhile since I'd had one, I just devoured the extras in all of their juicy goodness while we were getting dinner put together.

First we grilled the naan flatbreads without any toppings, just to get them a little toasty with a bit of char on them.  After that I spread them with a little bit of ricotta, though it would have been equally tasty with crumbled goat cheese.  I topped that with sliced fresh peaches, torn strips of prosciutto, a basil chiffonade, and a drizzle of honey balsamic reduction (that sounds much fancier than it really is!).  Then back on the grill to finish them off!

So.  Good.

Loaded with flavor and such a great summer meal or appetizer!  I can't wait to make them again.  I wrote up the recipe over at Allrecipes (see the link below) if you'd like to save it to your recipe box!


Grilled Prosciutto and Peach Flatbread Pizzas

1 C balsamic vinegar
1/4 C honey
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp lemon juice

2 naan flatbreads
4 oz ricotta or goat cheese
2 fresh peaches, sliced
3 oz prosciutto, torn into pieces
3 Tbsp basil, cut into thin strips

1. Mix together balsamic vinegar, honey, black pepper, and lemon juice in small saucepan over high heat.  Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low.  Simmer for approximately 15 minutes, or until mixture has reduced to 1/3 C.  Remove from heat and set aside.

2. Preheat grill to medium high-heat.  Place naan flatbreads on grill; grill for 2-3 minutes, until there are slight char marks.  Remove from grill.

3. Spread ricotta or goat cheese on the charred side of he flatbread.  Top with peach slices and prosciutto.  Sprinkle with basil.  Drizzle with balsamic reduction.

4. Place flatbreads back on grill. Grill for approximately 7 minutes with the lid closed, allowing cheese to slightly melt and the bottom of the pizza to begin to char.  Remove from grill and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!