Template

Saturday, April 9, 2016

Light and Refreshing Avocado & Tuna Tapas

I know I've been talking about my anticipation of summer a lot lately- I just can't get over it.  I go outside and see that blue sky, feel the warm sun on my skin, and my soul just sings.  It's the yin to the yang of my love of gray rainy days.  I love those too- so deeply.  Yet that sunshine...that warmth...ahhh...I'm pretty sure I'm part cat, as I'm quite content to lazily soak up the heat in a warm sunny spot as often as possible.

Just thinking about it makes me light up inside.  

Throw in extra adventure time with the kiddos and not having to wake up to an alarm for a few months and summer is pretty much sounding like heaven at the moment.

Honestly, in general I'm not a big fan of heavy meals but that is never more true than when it's hot outside.  Nope, when it's hot out I want something light and refreshing.  This dish really fits the bill!

I was perusing my pantry shelf the other day when I noticed a can of Genova® tuna that I received as part of a thank-you box from Allrecipes awhile back.  Tuna is one of those things that I rarely eat- and then when I do eat it I can't for the life of me remember why that's the case.  It's so light and refreshing.  Unless it's in tuna noodle casserole, of course- then it's just heavy and delicious.  I know I might be in the minority with that "tuna noodle casserole is delicious" sentiment, my family certainly does NOT agree with me!  :-)

Boy I'm good at digressing.  Anyway, so I had this can of tuna.  I also had some avocados on my counter that needed to be used, green onions and red bell pepper in the fridge, and a warm sunny day that was deserving of a delicious and light lunch.
I also had this recipe for Avocado and Tuna Tapas hanging out waiting for me to give it a try.

Rather than overwhelming the tuna chunks with a load of heavy mayo this recipe keeps things fresh and just uses a touch of it to bind the ingredients.  I really enjoyed the simplicity of this recipe.  One of my favorite things to take with me in a sack lunch when I'm out and about with the kids adventuring during the summer months is an avocado with salt, pepper, and a little balsamic.  Though it will require packing an icepack, I think this little treat will become another summer mainstay for our summertime outings!
I didn't make any real changes to the recipe, though I did use Penzey's Florida Seasoned Pepper (ohmygoodness that stuff is amazing!) and finish it off with a little a sprinkling of Penzeys French Coarse Gray Sea Salt.  Such a simple and delicious summer meal!

P.S. If you like tuna, give these Tor-Tunas a try!  I know, crazy name.  Yet they're another great meal when you're in the mood for something light!


1 (12 ounce) can solid white tuna packed in water, drained
1 Tbsp mayonnaise
3 green onions, thinly sliced, plus additional for garnish
1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
1 dash balsamic vinegar
Black pepper to taste
1 pinch garlic salt, or to taste
2 ripe avocados, halved and pitted

1. Stir together tuna, mayonnaise, green onions, red pepper, and balsamic vinegar in a bowl. Season with pepper and garlic salt, then pack the avocado halves with the tuna mixture. Garnish with reserved green onions and a dash of black pepper before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!