Template

Friday, April 8, 2016

Tastes Like Summer: Southern Dill Potato Salad

It's hard to believe that it has been an entire month since the last time I posted anything!  Between Spring Break, my daughter's birthday, and visits from family the time has really been flying by.
I don't know about you, but for once I'm actually ok about time passing quickly these days since I seriously can't wait for summer!  We've been grilling out a lot lately since the weather has warmed up and while my husband is in charge of the grilling I'm always in charge of the side dishes.

That's the fun part as far as I'm concerned!

While my family enjoys that I cook, my husband's ongoing complaint is that I'm always looking for new recipes- which means I rarely repeat the same thing twice, even when it's good.  There are just so many good recipes out there to try, I have a hard time staying at a culinary standstill!  Every once in awhile I come across a recipe special enough that my family goes out of their way to let me know "this one is a keeper- DO NOT STOP MAKING THIS."

Bodacious Broccoli Salad, Deviled Eggs, and Broccoli & Tortellini Salad are all excellent examples of summer side dishes that my family insists on that immediately come to mind.  Those dishes stay in heavy rotation in our house!  :-)

Anyway, this was one of those recipes.  My husband, daughter, and visiting family all made sure to let me know that this one was a keeper for sure.

Creamy, cool salads go hand-in-hand with grilled summer meals, and this potato salad is no exception.  It's refreshing and delightful with the bright taste of dill and the sweetness of relish all mixed in with the crisp crunch of celery and the soft texture of potato and egg.  Cider vinegar and dijon mustard add a light tang.

It's kind of perfection.

This one is definitely going to be part of our summer meal rotation- my family will make sure of it!


10 unpeeled red potatoes
5 hard boiled eggs, roughly chopped
3/4 C sour cream
3/4 C mayonnaise
2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
2 Tbsp sweet relish
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp dried dill weed
1/2 white onion, finely chopped
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
2 tsp salt
1 tsp celery seed
1 tsp black pepper

1. Place the potatoes in a large pot, cover them with water, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer until the potatoes are cooked through but still firm, about 20 minutes. Remove from the water, let cool, and cut the potatoes into chunks. Set the potatoes aside.

2. In a bowl, stir together the sour cream, mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, sweet relish, cider vinegar, dill, onion, celery, salt, celery seed, and black pepper until well mixed.

3. Place the potatoes and eggs in a large salad bowl.  Pour the dressing over the potatoes and eggs, and mix lightly. Cover and refrigerate the salad for at least an hour. Serve cold.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!