Template

Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Super Snacks for the Super Bowl: Sweet Heat Chicken Wings

So a few days ago I found myself inhaling a delicious trio of salsas at a Mexican restaurant as we celebrated a family birthday.  I've got a big thing for salsa.  :-)

 Anyway, my Seahawks were playing.  When we got the restaurant, they were down 31-0 at half time.
I really wasn't holding out much hope for a return from that as we sat down to eat.  But then I realized that I could see a television from across the restaurant.
They'd come back from that!  Lets just say I spent the last 10 minutes or so of lunch totally checked out of the conversation as I anxiously watched the game play out...we lost, but boy did we come back nicely in the second half!

Anyway...we're not going to the Super Bowl.
I might be a little less excited about watching this year, but thank goodness I still have the food part to get excited about.  :-)
Writing about Super Bowl snacks has kind of become tradition over the last few Januaries and this year is no exception.  Everyone loves fun snacks, and I've been stuck on chicken wings lately.  After making that "Who Needs Buffalo?" Sauce a bunch of times in a row I decided to mix things up just a little.  I really like sweet heat flavor combinations so I decided to stay in that vein when whipping up this simple sauce.

One of the things that bugs me about low-carbing it is that most wing sauces have something I can't eat in them- sugar, BBQ sauce, honey, brown sugar... it hardly seems fair.  This recipe works just fine without the added sugars.  When I come up with a low-carb recipe it's important to me that it's nothing too weird- I want it to be something that I will truly enjoy eating and that others will enjoy as well.  Bonus points if they don't even notice it's low carb!

I started with a batch of the Truly Crispy Baked Chicken Wings that I wrote about (they're so perfect, I can't imagine ever fixing wings any other way again!).  Then I sauced the wings and threw them back in the oven for a few minutes to bake that sauce on.

Yum- I hope you enjoy as much as we did!


1/3 C sriracha
1/4 C butter
1/4 C Splenda (or sugar if you prefer)
2 Tbsp dijon mustard
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp salt
5 lb chicken wings, cooked as preferred

1. Combine sriracha, butter, Splenda, dijon, soy sauce, ginger, onion powder, and salt in saucepan.  Cook over medium heat until combined and heated through.

2. Preheat oven to 400° F.  Spray baking sheet with cooking spray.  Place cooked wings in a large bowl with sauce and toss gently to coat.  Bake in oven for 5-10 minutes to cook on sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!