Template

Thursday, January 21, 2016

Big Mac Salad

I used to be a manager at McDonald's, many many years ago.  It was for three years, pre-Air Force, the last couple of years of high school and shortly after.  It was years before I would eat there again, and honestly I rarely go there to this day unless the kids want to visit Playland.  It was...an experience.  I have witnessed people get so angry over believing they had been overcharged by a dime that they felt it necessary to hurl a Super Size Coke at a fellow human being.  I have cleaned grease traps.  I have seen what's lurking in the ball pit (side note: my kids aren't allowed in ball pits...).

Anyway, while I almost never actually eat at McDonald's there are a couple of things that I really crave sometimes- namely Mac Sauce and McChickens.
Don't judge me for loving those hot little cheap chicken sandwiches please.  :-)

For some reason we were not allowed to give people a side of Mac sauce when they asked for it.  The only reason I was ever given was that the health department wouldn't allow it- which is not a response hungry customers really enjoy receiving when they just want some sauce in which to dip their fries.  Here's a silly answer from McD's itself as to why they won't serve it on the side.  Anyway, regardless of the reason, we deprived lots and lots of hungry throngs their favorite dipping sauce for those hot, salty fries.


Thankfully I worked there and was free to get myself a little cup of Mac sauce on the side whenever I craved it.

I can't actually recall the last time I ordered a Big Mac, but when that craving hits I just make myself a little batch of this copy cat sauce at home.  It's so super easy and I've adapted it to be low carb too.  While I can't dip my fries in it, I can absolutely deal with my Big Mac craving by making a salad version.

If you really want your salad to resemble a Big Mac feel free to use shredded iceberg lettuce- personally I prefer romaine, but to each his own.  My husband is a die-hard iceberg guy.  Top it with pieces of cooked burger, diced onion, chopped pickle, shredded cheddar, and some sauce and you have an absolutely delicious Big Mac salad that really hits the spot!


1/2 C mayo
4 tsp sweet pickle relish (I use this variety made with Splenda)
1 Tbsp minced white onion
2 tsp olive oil
2 tsp sugar(I use Splenda)
1 tsp white vinegar
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 teaspoon lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon dry mustard
1/8 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

Salad
8 C salad greens
6 cooked hamburger patties, chopped
1/2 C shredded cheddar
1/4 C onion, diced
1/4 C dill pickle chips, chopped


1. Whisk together sauce ingredients; chill for at least 30 minutes.

2. Toss together salad ingredients, top with sauce before serving.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!