Template

Thursday, January 7, 2016

Super Snacks for the Super Bowl: Baked Ham & Cheese Party Sandwiches

I know I'm not the only one that loves Hawaiian bread, right?
Gosh that stuff is good.

Sweet, smooth, deliciousness.  I don't need a topping for it, or a reason to eat it in fact.
I can't be trusted with a loaf.  Seriously.
An entire loaf may have once disappeared in my presence years ago...
Do you know the shame that accompanies eating an entire loaf of bread???

It's just so good, and so snackable.  Every year my parents have a Christmas party- the kind of event that has been going on so long that no one has gotten an invitation in decades, they just show up.  Every year there is a hollowed out loaf of Hawaiian bread filled with spinach dip.

Every year I'd sneak little bites of that loaf while trying to avoid the dip and get chastised for it.
All in all I'd have to say that Hawaiian bread is right up there with deviled eggs on the list of things I love a little too much.  :-)

Anyway, I kept seeing recipes for little ham sandwiches on pinterest.  Sometimes they were called "Funeral Sandwiches,"  sometimes "Football Sandwiches," sometimes they were something cute like "Baked Ham and Cheese Sammies."

Do you know what was always the same?
They always looked delicious and practically screamed "Nora, eat me!"

Knowing that I'd be hitting the low-carb bandwagon again hard as soon as the holidays were over I decided to take advantage of my lack of a diet a few weeks ago and try my hand at these babies.

So good.

I've made sandwiches with Hawaiian rolls before, remember the Roadtrip Sandwiches?
These are more of a fun dinner, an appetizer, or a game day snack than those I think.  More of an eat-at-home thing.

But they are delicious.

Just like the sandwiches I made with them before the entire tray of rolls is sliced in half, which makes for super quick assembly.  Just like the other sandwiches these have meat and cheese.

Then things change a bit.

They're topped with a delicious mixture of butter, dijon, worcestershire, poppy seeds, and onion and then baked.  They go to a whole different level than the Roadtrip Sandwiches!

Some of the recipes I came across on Pinterest added brown sugar to the butter mixture, and I'm sure that's delicious too- in fact I'm definitely trying it next time I make these.  While I stuck to the ham and swiss combo I don't think that's totally necessary.  I'm sure these would be great with any number of meat and cheese combinations.

These are definitely going to become a staple in our house whenever fun snack foods are in order!


3/4 C melted butter
1 1/2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 Tbsp poppy seeds
1 Tbsp dried minced onion
24 Kings Hawaiian rolls
1 lb thinly sliced cooked deli ham
1 lb thinly sliced Swiss cheese

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.  In a bowl, mix together butter, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, poppy seeds, and dried onion.

2. Separate the tops from bottoms of the rolls, and place the bottom pieces into the prepared baking dish. Layer about half the ham onto the rolls. Arrange the Swiss cheese over the ham, and top with remaining ham slices in a layer. Place the tops of the rolls onto the sandwiches. Pour the mustard mixture evenly over the rolls.

3. Bake in the preheated oven until the rolls are lightly browned and the cheese has melted, about 20 minutes. Slice into individual rolls through the ham and cheese layers to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!