Template

Monday, April 28, 2014

Churro Chex Mix

Many years ago my family took one last "family" trip to Disneyland before I got married.  I can't think of churros without thinking of that trip, because that was the trip when my dad and I had our Churro Challenge...
After stopping to buy churros and excitedly gobbling them up, my dad and I decided we were going to make it our mission to stop at every single churro stand we saw that day.  Every last one.  God only knows how much money was spent on those fried treats that day, but I can tell you that by the end of the day I never wanted to see a churro again!

Ah, memories... :-)

Anyway, years later, not all that long after moving to TN, I got a HUGE craving for churros.  I just couldn't get them off of my mind, and I mentioned how much I wanted one to a coworker.
She had no idea what I was talking about.  She had never HEARD of a churro!

I laughed and told one of our friends about this silly girl who had never heard of a churro...

she ALSO had no idea what I was talking about.

It turns out churros aren't nearly as big in Tennessee as they are in California.  Sad, but true.

Image via ocweekly.com
Anyway, for those of you who weren't lucky enough to grow up surrounded by Mexican food, churros are delicious.  They're kind of like long, thick, ridged doughnuts that have been dusted with cinnamon and sugar after they're fried.  

Anyway, while perusing Pinterest not long ago I came across a recipe by Andie at My Recipe Magic for Cinnamon Churro Chex Mix and knew I had to try it.  It wasn't a matter of if, but a matter of when.

I got that opportunity when we had a few friends over for dinner and cards, and I'm SO glad I gave it a try!  It really is awesome- it took all of my willpower not to eat the whole batch before they got here!  I'm including the recipe below as I did modify it slightly (I liked it with more powdered sugar and cinnamon, plus I think adding the regular sugar at the end leaves them with more of a churro type finish), but please go check out the original as well, I've linked to it above!

Churro Chex® Mix
9 C Corn Chex®
1 bag cinnamon chips
1/2 C butter
1 1/2 C powdered sugar
2 Tbsp ground cinnamon
1/2 C sugar

1. Place cereal in large mixing bowl.

2. In small bowl, combine powdered sugar and cinnamon.

3. In medium microwave-safe bowl heat cinnamon chips and butter at 50% power for 1 minute.  Stir. Continue to heat at 50% power in 20 second intervals until mixture is smooth.  Pour mixture over cereal and stir to coat.  Add powdered sugar mixture and stir to coat.  Add sugar and stir to coat.  Spread on wax paper and allow to cool.

5 comments:

  1. It would be helpful to mention the butter in the recipe since you list it as an ingredient!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never purchased cinnamon chips, do they come in only one size bag? Or what size bag is needed for this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter and I made this today. It is fantastic! Thank you for sharing this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Made this today for our Cinco De Mayo potluck at work and it was a big hit. Thanks for sharing. I did have one question since I've never used cinnamon chips before, after melting with butter is it supposed to look grainy or didn't I cook it long enough?

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!