Template

Friday, February 28, 2014

Broccoli Cheddar Nuggets with Comeback Sauce

Have you ever heard of Comeback Sauce?  It seems that every mention of it I come across in a cooking magazine heralds it as "The Sauce of the South," yet I had yet to try it once.



I hadn't seen it on a menu, or had it served to me by a friend.


Have I just been frequenting the wrong places?  I know it's supposedly more popular in Mississippi than Tennessee, but I don't remember seeing it during my 4+ years there, either.  Catfish, yes...lots of catfish.  :-)

I dunno.  Whatever the reason for this sauce staying under my culinary radar, after seeing it mentioned yet again- this time in Southern Living magazine- I knew I had to finally break down and try it for myself.

It's quite a bit like remoulade- another Southern favorite- minus the horseradish and mustard, with chili sauce added.

So yeah.  This stuff is AWESOME.  Heinz Chili Sauce is definitely not low-carb (a diet I try to stick to as much as possible), so I started with a copycat recipe made with Heinz Reduced Sugar Ketchup.

Now, I couldn't just sit there and eat the sauce with a spoon (though I was a little tempted...) so I made Broccoli Cheddar Nuggets to dunk in it.

Oh my goodness.
Now, just for the record, it may seem like I love everything I cook- I don't.

There were those zucchini sandwiches.  The seafood salad with cheddar cheese.  The apple chutney with cheddar in puff pastry.  The brown rice with pineapple and ridiculous amounts of turmeric.

Those were absolute, utter failures.  My blog might be more entertaining if I detailed every kitchen mishap, :-) but I'm much happier sharing with you the good stuff.  The stuff I hope that you will make for yourself.

Thankfully, these nuggets fall into the "completely delicious success" category!

They're really simple (of course I used my bread crumb substitute...) and so delicious.  They will absolutely be finding their way onto my plate often!  Broccoli, cheddar, bread crumbs, and seasonings formed into little nuggets and baked until golden.  SO GOOD!  They would be good with lots of different sauces, but they were absolutely amazing with the Comeback Sauce.  Wonderful pairing.

Thankfully my kitchen adventures last night were both winners- give them a try and see for yourself.  I've included both recipes below for your convenience, or you can click on the links below to see them on the sources!


1 C mayonnaise
1/4 C chili sauce
2 Tbsp ketchup
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp smoked paprika
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp hot sauce
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/4 tsp ground black pepper

1. Stir together all ingredients.  Cover and chill 30 minutes before serving.  Refrigerate up to 1 week.



1 teaspoon vegetable oil, or as needed
1 (16 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
1 cup bread crumbs
1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
3 eggs
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a baking sheet with oil.

2. Defrost broccoli.  Place in food processor and pulse until broccoli is in small chunks.

3. Transfer broccoli into a large mixing bowl. Add bread crumbs, Cheddar cheese, eggs, basil, oregano, and garlic powder to the broccoli; mix. Shape into nuggets or fun shapes and arrange onto the prepared baking sheet.

4. Bake in preheated for 15 minutes, flip, and continue baking until heated through and beginning to firm, 10 to 15 minutes more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!