Template

Monday, November 30, 2015

Banana Split Fluff Salad

Lately my daughter has been asking me to teach her how to cook- which, of course, is an idea I'm totally on board with.  Honestly I think it has more to do with her secret aspirations to find herself on Masterchef Junior than a desire to learn any real-world skills, but I'm up for some kitchen time with my not-so little girl regardless of her motivations.
A couple of weekends ago she asked if she could help me make lunch after church- I honestly can't remember what I was making but I was in a hurry to get it done so I could get to work on popcorn orders and whatever it was was really a one person thing anyway.

Then I remembered the Banana Split Fluff Salad ingredients I'd purchased the day before and realized that she could absolutely help in the kitchen that afternoon- in fact, she could make a dish completely on her own!

Remember the Watergate Salad that I wrote about not too long ago?
This salad is exactly like that.  Only not.

It's really the same base- pudding, whipped topping, crushed pineapple.
But it's banana pudding.
And it has mini chocolate chips.
And chopped nuts.
And maraschino cherries.

So it's pretty much a banana split.
And it's awesome.

I printed out a copy of the recipe, got her set up at the kitchen counter with the ingredients, and let her go nuts.  She measured, scooped, and stirred.

We talked about how and why we fold in ingredients.
How to cut safely.
The many delicious uses for leftover maraschino cherry juice (Shirley Temple anyone?).
The importance of cleaning up as we go.

In short- it was absolutely a cooking lesson and she was pretty darn proud of herself for making dessert by on her own.

If you like "fluff" salads, this recipe is definitely a great one to try- who doesn't like a banana split? :-)

Banana Split Fluff Salad
From Inside BruCrew Life

3.4 oz box instant banana pudding
20 oz can crushed pineapple (do not drain)
8 oz container Cool Whip
1 cup mini marshmallows
1/2 C finely chopped nuts + 2 Tablespoons for garnish
1/2 C mini chocolate chips
2 ripe bananas, sliced (optional- they turn mushy in leftovers)
10 oz jar maraschino cherries, halved

1. Stir together the pudding mix and pineapple until dissolved and thickened. Fold in the Cool Whip.

2. Gently stir in the marshmallows, nuts, chocolate chips, bananas, and cherries.  Refrigerate at least 1 hour to chill. Makes about 8 cups salad.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!