Template

Saturday, September 27, 2014

Low Carb Mozzarella Sticks...Seriously.

I watched 1 1/2 football games with my husband and step son this afternoon and I think I have another one on the way this evening.

Woo to the hoo.

There are more important things to discuss at the moment.

Low carb mozzarella sticks EXIST.

Seriously!

Without any weird flours, supplements, or ingredients.

No special trips to the store.

3 ingredients.  

Total deliciousness.

One of the most frustrating things when trying to stick to a low carb way of eating is the lack of snacks outside of a relish tray.

Sure, I've always got that awesome Buffalo Chicken Dip with celery stick dippers to fall back on, but sometimes a girl just wants something...decadent.  Cheesy, fried, goodness.

Enter Low Carb Mozzarella Sticks.

I found them over at The Busy Broad's site and I am in love.

I doubted, I really did.  Her pictures looked so perfectly crispy, with the promise of gooey mozzarella inside...how could she accomplish that without carbs?

The answer, it turns out, is INCREDIBLY simple.

String cheese.  Eggs.  Grated parmesan.

That's it.  She also added garlic powder and Italian seasoning, but to be honest I forgot those until it was too late.  I served it with my homemade marinara, so we didn't really miss the extra flavor.

So.  Freaking.  Good.

Really.

It's as simple as cutting string cheese in half, coating it in beaten egg, dredging in grated parmesan (yes, that stuff with the green label), repeating, and freezing on wax paper.  When the cheese sticks are good and frozen, fry them.

That's it.

I didn't wind up with a cheesy, gooey mess in the oil- just crisp deliciousness.

These will definitely be part of our Football season rotation!

Low Carb Mozzarella Sticks
Adapted from The Busy Broad

12 pieces of string cheese
8 oz grated parmesan cheese
3 eggs

1. Line baking sheet with wax paper.  Cut string cheese pieces in half.  Crack eggs in small bowl and whisk to beat lightly.  Pour parmesan cheese into another bowl.

2. Coat string cheese piece completely with egg.  Dredge in parmesan cheese.  Coat in egg again and dredge in parmesan again.  Place on wax paper.  Repeat with each piece of cheese and freeze, at least 3 hours.

3. Heat 1" of oil to between 350 and 375 degrees.  Add frozen cheese sticks and fry, turning once, until golden brown- approximately 1 minute per side.  Serve with marinara for dipping.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!