Template

Friday, May 2, 2014

Cool and Creamy Southern Slaw

One of the first lessons I learned when I moved to the South 12 years ago (side note: 12 YEARS?!?  How has it been that long????  I'm getting old!) was that it is slaw rather than coleslaw.  One of the many words I soon found I had apparently been using incorrectly...like cart rather than buggy.  lol That one still makes me giggle.  I do believe I will forever refer to it as a cart.

I digress.  
I digress quite often and easily, I'm afraid...

Anyway, I never really liked coleslaw (boy, dropping that "cole" part has proven difficult for me!) growing up- but then again, the only real memory I have of eating it was at KFC and crying because my mom made me eat a few bites of it before getting one of those pudding cups they have (had?).

Then, I moved to Mississippi and discovered that coleslaw can be wonderful.  Not just itty-bitty pieces of cabbage drenched in sweet, creamy sauce.

No, coleslaw could be amazing.

Small but not pulverized pieces of cabbage.
A touch of sweet, but not cloyingly so.
A touch of tartness, but not enough to pucker your mouth.

Cool, creamy, amazing, deliciousness.  The kind that's hard to walk past the fridge without grabbing a bite of.

The kind that is cool, refreshing and satisfying on a warm evening.

Perfect on a chili dog.

Perfect with pulled pork.

It's simple, cheap, and all-around awesome!

Keep this one in mind for all of the warm evenings we have on the horizon!


2 1/2 C shredded cabbage
1/2 C diced cucumber
1/2 C mayonaise 
3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar 
2 Tbsp onion, minced 
1 Tbsp white sugar  (or granulated Splenda)
1 tsp black pepper 
1/2 tsp salt 
1/4 tsp celery seed

1. In small mixing bowl whisk together all ingredients except for cabbage.

2. Place cabbage in a large bowl.  Toss cabbage with dressing.  Refrigerate 30 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!