Template

Friday, October 11, 2013

The Great Debate

This month I was invited to try out two recipes from SPLENDA® Sweetener- one made with apple, the other with pumpkin-  and to weigh in with my thoughts on the subject of which is truly the winner when it comes to my favorite Fall flavor.

Miniature Apple Muffins
Click to see the recipe on Allrecipes.com!
I've talked a lot lately about apples, and my attempts to cook my way through a full bushel of them (which I finally accomplished!!).  From apple cookies to apple pie, apple recipes really do scream "Fall" to me.  I decided to start the Fall flavor challenge with these Miniature Apple Muffins.  Miniature foods hold a special place in my heart, why is that?  They're just so adorable :-)

We really enjoyed these muffins.  They were just sweet enough, and the apple flavor definitely came through.  I think if I were to make these again I would add a little allspice and sub some of the SPLENDA® Sweetener with SPLENDA® Sweetener's Brown Sugar Blend.  That being said, even without any changes they were tasty little muffins that would make for a great breakfast or snack.  I use a lot of SPLENDA® Sweetener, but honestly before this challenge I had never baked with it.  I was definitely pleased with the results, they didn't have that weird artificial sweetener flavor.

Harvest Pumpkin-Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
Click to see the recipe on Allrecipes.com!
Next up?  Harvest Pumpkin-Oatmeal Raisin Cookies.  Oh wow.
These guys might not have been pretty, but they made up for it in taste.  I added nutmeg, clove, ginger, and allspice to the dry ingredients and subbed chopped pecans for the walnuts.  These things were awesome!  Soft, cakey, full of pumpkin flavor- and they didn't spread at all!  I wouldn't be surprised if I make these again before the end of the season.

So, which flavor is the winner in my little challenge?

Drumroll please...

PUMPKIN!!!

I love apple desserts.  I love pumpkin desserts.  But, if forced to make a decision, pumpkin wins hands down.  My husband is sitting next to me devouring the few I didn't send to work with him as I write this.  They are AWESOME!!

What's your favorite Fall flavor?

Miniature Apple Muffins
From Allrecipes.com and Splenda

3/4 C SPLENDA® No-Calorie Sweetener, Granulated
1 C butter, softened
2 tsp molasses
2 large eggs
1/3 C apple juice concentrate, thawed
2 tsp lemon zest
2 C all-purpose flour
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 C peeled, shredded fresh apple
1/3 C old-fashioned oats
1/2 C raisins

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Lightly spray miniature muffins pans with cooking spray, set aside.

2. Beat SPLENDA®, butter, and molasses at medium speed with an electric mixer for 1 minute, or until blended.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating until blended after each addition; add apple juice concentrate and lemon zest, beating until blended.

3. Combine flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt; add to SPLENDA® mixture, beating on low speed until just blended.  Stir in apple, oats, and raisins.

4. Spoon batter into prepared pans; filling cups 3/4 full.  Bake until edges are lightly browned, 12 minutes.  Allow to cool on wire racks.


 Disclaimer

I am an Allrecipes Allstar Brand Ambassador (a voluntary position) and I’m not compensated for my work with Allrecipes.com.

Products received from advertiser are only used for experienced-based reviews on Sunny Days With My Loves. The reviews, content and opinions expressed in this blog are purely the sole opinions of Nora.


3 comments:

  1. I loved the pumpkin cookies also! I added some allspice and I'm glad I did! I'll be making the apple muffins next! Great post Nora! =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those both look SO good but man those pumpkin cookies are calling my name!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!