Template

Thursday, August 2, 2018

Rocky Road Ice Cream and Weird Kids

A month or so ago, as I was deep in the throes of my ice cream obsession, my 12 year old asked (more like begged...) me to make Rocky Road Ice Cream instead of something more fun, like Honey Lavender or Cherry Pie à la Mode.  So of course I made it, right?

But then I served her a bowl of that ice cream she had begged for.

She wrinkled her nose.

"Are these...NUTS?!?" she gasped.

Ummm...yes.  That's kind of what makes that Rocky Road ice cream you've been enjoying for years rocky.

She followed with, "...is this MARSHMALLOW?!?"

Yes, my child.  Also, you love marshmallows.  Also marshmallows are always in Rocky Road ice cream.

Kids...they're a weird, finicky breed.

I was confused by the reaction, to be honest.
She asked me to pick out the nuts and the marshmallows, for her.
I- of course- refused.

*sigh*
Whatever.

Anyway, my daughter's perplexing response to receiving exactly what she had asked for aside, that was one tasty batch of ice cream according to everyone else whose tastebuds it graced.


By that, I mean my husband and I were the only ones that ate it, but it really was simply scrumptious. :-)

Rich and creamy ice cream.  Sweet and gooey marshmallow.  Crunchy, nutty pecans.
What's not to like?

I remember when I was a kid, when my sweet tooth was significantly more active than it is these days, discovering the Rocky Road candy bar on the shelf of the little Cornet five-and-dime store in my hometown.

I loved that candy bar with a passion that I can still feel these 30+ years later.
Today?  Well, lets just say the only thing that even comes close to tempting me in the checkout aisle (very, very, occasionally) are M&M's with peanuts- possibly the most boring of the M&M varieties.
Also, in the opinion of my mid-thirties tastebuds, the best variety.

My daughter oohs and aahs over the candy bars in the checkout line and my stomach literally turns at the thought of so much cloying sweetness.

Nope, no candy bars for Nora these days.

Ice cream on the other hand...well, that's another story.  The only reason I avoid ice cream is for the sake of my waistline- under the protest of my tastebuds.

I could eat the entire carton of this chocolatey goodness- and as long as you're not weird about nuts and, apparently, marshmallows in your ice cream like my daughter, well then- this is one delicious, creamy, wonderful ice cream recipe worth trying!


1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup light cream
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 cup miniature marshmallows

1. In a medium saucepan over low heat, cook and stir condensed milk and cocoa until smooth and slightly thickened, 5 minutes. Remove from heat , and allow to cool slightly. Stir in heavy cream, light cream, and vanilla. Refrigerate until cold.

2. Pour mixture into the canister of an ice cream maker, and freeze according to manufacturer's directions. Stir in nuts and marshmallows halfway through the freezing process.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!