Template

Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Flounder Mediterranean- Best. Fish. Ever.

I have a backlog of so many recipes to write about that I've made lately that just keeps growing.  With school back in session for the kids and about to start for me life has been a little hectic and I seem to be falling a little behind with the blog.

lol I'll be taking 17 credit hours this semester, sooo...my guess is there will be more of that in the coming months- just a heads up.  :-)

I've had my eye on this recipe for awhile and just hadn't gotten around to making it.  You know that generally speaking I don't care a great deal for meat but seafood is another story- I definitely have pescatarian leanings.

This dish starts with a sauce made from fresh tomatoes, and is packed with the most amazing flavors- onion, garlic, capers, kalamata olives, and more.  It smells AMAZING while it's cooking, seriously just super fragrant.  I love that this dish is done- start to finish- in about 45 minutes yet it really is a dish that I'd be proud to serve at a dinner party.

Even my meat-and-potatoes loving husband was raving about this one, which is a pretty big deal.

This was lovely with a salad on the side, but I think next time I'll also serve it over the top of either Israeli couscous or rice in a shallow bowl or dish.  The amazing brothy sauce would be sooo good that way!  The broth was so good that I couldn't bring myself to toss the little bit that was left over and I ended up heating it up and making couscous with it, little veggie bits and all.  It made for a delicious lunch today!

I know I've shared a lot of good recipes over the years, and pointed out a lot of "keepers".  But seriously folks...this is one of the best meals I've ever made in my life.
For real- it's that good.  You need this in your life


5 roma (plum) tomatoes
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp Italian seasoning
24 kalamata olives, pitted and halved
1/4 cup chicken broth (or white wine)
1/4 C capers
1 tsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp basil
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (or more to taste)
1/4 C grated Parmesan cheese
1 pound flounder fillets (or cod, mahi-mahi, or other meaty white fish)
1 pound extra-large shrimp, peeled and deveined

1. Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).

2. Bring a saucepan of water to a boil. Plunge tomatoes into the boiling water and immediately remove to a medium bowl of ice water; drain. Remove and discard skins from tomatoes. Chop tomatoes and set aside.

3. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat; saute onion until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, garlic and Italian seasoning; cook until tomatoes are tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Mix in olives, wine, capers, lemon juice, basil, and red pepper flakes. Reduce heat, blend in Parmesan cheese, and cook until the mixture is reduced to a thick sauce, about 15 minutes.

4. Place flounder and shrimp in a casserole dish. Pour sauce over the fillets.  Bake 12 minutes in the preheated oven, until fish is easily flaked with a fork (135°F for cod or mahi-mahi-mahi).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!