Template

Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Hearty Spinach and Pasta Salad

It's hard to believe there was ever a time in my life when I didn't like spinach- it corresponded roughly with the years I didn't like brussels sprouts.

I must have been out of my mind (or your typical kid, though my daughter loves both!), because both are delicious.

These days spinach is one of my favorite greens to use in a salad- and for good reason.  It's light enough to work as a lovely salad green and hearty enough to stand up to heavier additions- like pasta for example.

Now, I love regular pasta salad.  In fact, it's one of the few ways I really eat pasta.
I can put away some pasta salad!

Which is why I rarely have it in the house unless there is company over to help finish it off, because I seriously can't be trusted with leftover pasta salad in the fridge.

This salad is wonderful because you get the crunch, flavor, and nutrients of spinach and pasta is almost used as a garnish.  The textures work very well together, I get my tasty carb fix, and their is significantly less guilt involved if I nibble on the leftovers a little!

Nestled in with the spinach and pasta are olives, crumbled feta, red onion...there is nothing not to be liked about these ingredients!

It went over very well when we had company over, and I was definitely asked for the recipe.  This would be a wonderful dish to take to a potluck too!


1 (12 oz) package farfalle pasta
10 oz baby spinach, rinsed
2 oz crumbled feta cheese
1 red onion, chopped
1 (15 oz) can black olives, drained and chopped
1 C Italian-style salad dressing
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 lemon, juiced
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper

1. In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook pasta until al dente, rinse under cold water and drain.

2. In a large bowl, combine the pasta, spinach, cheese, red onion and olives.

3. Whisk together the salad dressing, garlic, lemon juice, garlic salt and pepper. Pour over salad and toss. Refrigerate for 2 hours and serve chilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!