Template

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Caprese Farro Salads and Endless Grains

Well guys, I still have a ridiculous number of weird grains in my pantry.  Ok, weird grains might not really be a fair description- more like wonderful and underutilized grains.

I've tried to cook my way through them (thank goodness they have an insane shelf life!) but no matter how many ways I find to use them they're still there.  Have you ever been to a restaurant and been served a ginormous salad and no matter how much you eat it doesn't seem like you've made a dent?
No...that's just me?  Ok, well it's just like that.  I cook and cook and cook and cook and it's like freaking Strega Nona's pot in there.  Never-ending grains.

Thankfully- and if you've been following along with my postings for any amount of time you know this already- I'm a bit obsessed with interesting side dishes.  I just love mixing things up and trying out new ways to accompany meals, and fun new grains are always a great addition.  I've already written about a delicious Farro Salad with Asparagus and Parmesan and Barley Lime Fiesta Salad, so it's pretty obvious that I'm a fan of grain salads.  When I worked with Swanson a few months ago and was asked to create a recipe using their broth I knew that I was going to get a little creative and make- yet another- yummy salad and work on using up some of those grains in the pantry!
I decided to go a caprese route with this recipe and- if I do say so myself- it turned out to be quite yummy.  Beyond the tomatoes, basil chiffonade, and mozzarella I added even more flavor by cooking the farro in Swanson chicken broth.  It definitely adds another dimension that isn't there when you just use water to cook the farro.
Beyond that, toss in a little balsamic vinegar and some red onion and you have one delicious salad!

Dishes like this are perfect for summer- cool, light but filling, totally refreshing, easy to make ahead, perfect for a crowd.


1 C farro, rinsed
3 C Swanson® Chicken Broth
1 C red cherry tomatoes, halved
1 C shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 C basil chiffonade (thinly sliced fresh basil leaves)
1/2 C slivered almonds
1/4 C thinly sliced red onion
3 Tbsp balsamic vinaigrette salad dressing

1. Mix farro and Swanson(R) Chicken Broth together in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and allow to simmer until tender, about 30 minutes. Drain; allow to cool completely.

2. Transfer cooled farro to a bowl. Stir in tomatoes, mozzarella, basil, almonds, and sliced onion. Add vinaigrette and mix well.


 Disclaimer


I am an AllrecipesAllstar Brand Ambassador (a voluntary position) and I’m not compensated for my work with Allrecipes.com. Products received from advertiser are only used for experienced-based reviews my personal blog.  The reviews, content and opinions expressed in this blog are all my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!