Template

Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Amazingly Easy Juicy Roast Chicken

I have a history of murdering meat.

As in killing it dead.
Dry, overcooked, icky meat.
I could pull the meat 5 degrees below temp, cover it and let it rest, and still discover that it had become tough and unpleasant- every time.
It got so bad my husband cautiously asked me to stop making his beloved thick cut chops.
Seriously.  Definitely not one of my better moments.

Thankfully I don't give up easily and I wasn't about to be shown up by a piece of meat.
I'm not exactly sure what flip has switched over the past couple of months but thankfully I seem to have turned a culinary corner and my carnivorous family is extremely pleased.  Pork chops, steak, chicken...I'm killing it in a MUCH more desirable way lately.

It's kind of amazing how many times my daughter has told me how happy she is that I finally learned how to cook meat.  Even a 9 year old can appreciate the improvement.  :-)

It had been a long time since I'd attempted a whole chicken and I'd never had particularly noteworthy results.  I'm not really sure why, but occasionally I'll grab a whole chicken to throw in the freezer when I'm grocery shopping- the other day I found myself looking for a recipe for roast chicken.

I don't know what makes this recipe so special- at first glance it's pretty basic.  Simple seasonings, nothing fancy.  Let me tell you, though...it is the single most flavorful, juicy chicken I've ever eaten in my life.

That is not an exaggeration in the slightest.  It was simply amazing.  My family was singing my praises and my daughter has been asking me to make it over and over again.  Let just say that the next time I'm looking to restock my freezer I'll be buying a few chickens to have on hand!

Don't let the easy recipe fool you- this one honestly doesn't need to be messed with.  That's both my opinion and that of vast majority of the 2,495 people who have rated this recipe to date on Allrecipes.

This one is a definite, fool-proof, keeper!


1 (3 pound) whole chicken, giblets removed
1/2 cup margarine, divided
1 Tbsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp salt
4 ribs of celery, leaves removed, cut in half

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).  Mix together onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, and salt.  Place chicken in a roasting pan breast side up and season generously inside and out with seasoning mixture.
2. Place 3 tablespoons margarine in the chicken cavity. Arrange dollops of the remaining margarine between skin and breast meat around the chicken's exterior.  Place celery in the chicken cavity.

3. Bake uncovered 1 hour and 15 minutes in the preheated oven, to a minimum internal temperature of 180 degrees F (82 degrees C). Remove from heat, and baste with melted margarine and drippings. Cover with aluminum foil, and allow to rest about 30 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!