Template

Friday, March 7, 2014

Starting the Day Off Right on St. Patrick's Day

Growing up, I swore up and down that one day my kids would be able to eat whatever cereal they wanted.

They'd have their pick of the cereal aisle!  Bring on the Golden Grahams, Trix, and Cookie Crisp!


It seemed wrong that while my friends could eat whatever they wanted in the morning, I was limited to Cheerios, Kix, Chex, Grape Nuts, Wheeties, etc.

It seemed CRAZY that my mom allowed my sister and I to pick out sugary cereal once a year- for our birthday.

It was a big deal.  My sister and I would spend weeks, dreamily planning which cereal we would pick with sugary dreams running through our heads.
Well...I still think Golden Grahams are pretty amazing.  But my favorite cereal by a long-shot is Wheat Chex and I managed to not get a single cavity until a few months ago.

I think my mom made a wise decision.  :-)

I've made the same one.  My daughter's birthday is next week and she is IMMENSELY excited about her upcoming sugary cereal pick!
I say all that to say this: my surprise for her this morning wasn't just a little something fun- this kid NEVER EVER EVER EVER gets woken up with sugary cereal.  She was ecstatic!

While she was upstairs getting dressed, I snuck into the kitchen and broke out the green food dye and the box of Lucky Charms I'd hidden in the back of the pantry.

When she came downstairs she had green milk and a bowl of lucky charms!  Oh my goodness she was excited.  I made enough milk for her to drink and to use on her cereal.

:-) I was not surprised in the least when she asked for a second bowl...

Do you do anything fun to celebrate St. Patrick's Day with your kids?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!