Template

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Warm Taco Dip

My daughter's Girl Scout troop had their Christmas party a couple of weeks ago and I found myself racking my brain for a suitable dish to bring that would be economical too.
Last time I had to bring something to a Girl Scouts function I tried out Apple Slab Pie, which is awesome, but I've been making sooooo many desserts lately I wanted to make something else.
Do you know what I love?  Tacos.  lol Big shocker there, right?  I can't imagine NOT liking tacos...
Anyway, I know the idea of a taco dip isn't exactly groundbreaking, but I really liked how this one turned out and thought I'd share the recipe with you!
I started with a layer of beans mixed with green chiles, added taco meat, cheese, toppings...yum!  Then I popped it in the oven and got it all gooey and warm right before I headed out the door.  I think next time I might add some Mexican rice to the bean mixture to make it even more tasty and scoopable!  The whole tray was polished off within an hour- a success in my book.  This is one that I'll definitely be making again- perfect Winter game-day food!

Warm Taco Dip

2 16oz cans refried beans
4 oz can diced green chiles
1 1/2 lbs ground beef
1 pkg taco seasoning
1/2 large onion, diced
1 1/2 C shredded cheddar, divided
1 1/4 C salsa
16oz sour cream
3.8 oz can sliced black olives
1 small tomato, diced
Chopped green onion or cilantro for garnish
Tortilla chips for serving

1. Preheat oven to 350 F.  Lightly spray bottom of 9x13 cake pan with cooking spray.  Stir together refried beans and green chiles; spread bean mixture on bottom of pan.

2. Brown ground beef.  Mix in onion and taco seasoning, sauté until onions begin to brown.  Spread meat mixture over bean mixture in pan.

3. Sprinkle meat mixture with 1 C of cheddar cheese.  Spread salsa over cheese.  Spread sour cream over salsa.  Sprinkle olives, tomato, and green onion or cilantro over sour cream.  Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes or until heated through.  Serve with chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, we want to hear them!